Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Friday 27 July 2018

SHOOTING THE BREEZE

On heatwave days, we tend to gravitate to the beach.
Guernsey's beaches are many and each is distinctly different in character. 
The bay at Bordeaux, where I live, is  particularly pleasing with its views of the islands, Herm, Jethou and Brecqhou, and the many small boats that grace these waters.
I've always been drawn to the sea-shore and, in my younger days in Northern Ireland, spent many a happy hour watching sail-boats gliding towards their destination powered only by the natural force of the wind.  


RED SAIL

A small blue boat with neat red sail
is moving slowly as we sit,
two figures, huddled, pasty-pale,
together on a sandy spit.

We watch its progress, tall sail, bright,
so reminiscent of a kite ...
a childhood thing, my pride and joy.

I went, on windy days, for sport,
eager, like any other boy,
to fly it near the ruined fort.
It sailed breathtakingly above,
free, yet restrained: somehow like love.

1 comment:

  1. There is something special about red sails, perhaps it reminds me of my years watching Junks in Hong Kong. this poem stirs great memories for me.

    ReplyDelete