Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Friday 26 January 2018

NO GOING BACK

As I grow older, a yearning to revisit the past intensifies but the sad truth is that there's no joy to be had from such adventures.
The past really is a foreign country, where history has been subtly changed.
Road-signs have been altered, doors are locked against the stranger.  














 

REUNION

Her children
and my children
now have children of their own.
The man I was, and what she was,
that spirited, flamboyant girl,
have vanished, all our passion stilled.

I hardly thought myself grown old
till, in her tearful, wary face
I saw
my own reflected: weary, drawn.
Full forty years of life’s rebuffs
have turned us into shadows.

2 comments:

  1. How sad your words, and (sometimes) how painful our memories of who we once were.
    Ancient now, I still have a zest for life although my body tends to resist. That said, my mind heart and soul refuse I become a shadow.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an inspiring statement, Anna. One with which I heartily concur.

    ReplyDelete