Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Sunday 22 May 2016

FUTURESHOCK

I don’t know whether it’s an over-sixties thing or whether these moments come to us all, whatever our age, but that fragment of a second, on waking in the night, when the veil of denial slips and the spectre of one’s ultimate end assumes a dreadful tangibility, is a sobering moment indeed.


























MARCHING, MARCHING
 

It wakes you in the night sometimes,
that feeling:
time escaping, spilling out,
and you can’t seem to stop it.

You lie there breathing in
night air, sipping a cocktail mix
of doubt, regret, remorse,
a bitter acid-twist of fear

and seem to hear wind change track,
the future, not prepared to wait,
come marching, marching
to your gate.

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling, though I'm only 52. That said I must admit that in my case I would see it as a release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Fleming25 May 2016 at 12:47

    A sombre thought, John.

    ReplyDelete