Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Friday 17 April 2015

NOIR WEEK: THE WAITING DAME

During NOIR WEEK, I’m posting a daily poem written in the style of the genre, featuring stereotypical characters drawn from fiction and noir cinema.
Today's protagonist is struggling with the growing awareness that things are probably going to end in tears.





VIRGIL’S DAME

I get this dream where I’m flying
above the city like a bird.
Again and again it’s occurred
and I always wake up crying.

Virgil, he told me to wait here
when he went off to ditch the truck.
He said I gotta lot of pluck
but what I really felt was fear.

We left that dumb-ass clerk dying:
he didn’t aught to grab that cane.
When’s Virgil coming back again?
I fall asleep and wake up crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment