Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Tuesday 14 April 2015

NOIR WEEK: GO WES, YOUNG MAN

During NOIR WEEK, I’m posting a daily poem written in the style of the genre, featuring hard-boiled, cynical individuals in bleak, sleazy settings.
Many of the characters that populate these poems are stereotypes drawn from fiction and noir cinema. It was enormous fun getting to know them and glimpse their crazy lives.
Wes, the reluctant getaway driver you'll meet in today's vignette, somehow developed a life of his own after this and went on to become the central figure in a stand-alone twelve-poem sequence with a linear narrative that I hope to publish soon.







WES

I meet this bozo in a bar.
He says: You Wes? I say: Who says?
He says: I know you from that scar.
Ok, I say. I guess I’m Wes.
He says: We want you drive a car:
word is, you’re outta work these days.
He offers me a big cigar.
I like his style: admire finesse.
He says: The job won’t take an hour.
C’mon, consider my request.
Just grab the dough then, au revoir:
no stress. Hey Wes, just acquiesce.
I’m hooked: but something seems to jar.



No comments:

Post a Comment