Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Monday 25 July 2022

NO MONEY IN POETRY

Anyone who writes and is at all self-critical will probably be able to relate to the sentiments contained in this poem.


















SMALL CHANGE      

                                                       

When words are called for, verse or poetry,

I rummage in my pocket for small change

and promptly offer up a handful: See,

here are my words, these sundry coins. 


It’s strange 

to see them there, so lacklustre and dead,

those dull ten-pees, those drab pathetic twos,

that shone so very brightly in my head.


My hard-earned verses, rhymes, opinions, views, 

have not much sterling value, so it seems,

while other, bolder people’s money screams.


No comments:

Post a Comment