Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Sunday 17 July 2022

LOST LOVES

I'm very proud to find myself not only sharing a booklet but also sharing a page with one of my favourite poets, Wendy Cope, in a recent Sampson Low publication, Lost Loves

You can purchase a copy by clicking on this link:- https://www.waterstones.com/book/lost-love/wendy-cope/david-whippman/9781912960965





 







LOVE STORY

‘Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds’ 

W. SHAKESPEARE. Sonnet 116


I thought myself in love. I lay awake  

imagining your hair spread out like gold 

and whilst asleep your hair shone as I dreamed: 

such lustrous tresses, how I loved to touch.

All changed the day you had your hair restyled ...


you came home shorn and while I wept you smiled.

I yearned for love but that was my mistake:  

I never guessed love could turn quickly cold. 

Love was a fantasy or so it seemed:

I loved you little, loved your hair too much.


I thought myself in love but I was wrong. 

I loved you only when your hair was long. 


No comments:

Post a Comment