Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Thursday 1 April 2021

BAYWATCH

The bay at Bordeaux is ever-changing: tide arrives, tide departs and a congregation of seabirds gather on the shore. 

I never tire of this particular point on Guernsey’s coastline with its view of the smaller islands of the Bailiwick and the granite sea-wall that protects us from the sea’s hunger.

















APPROACHING FOG


Sea-facing, 

from a wooden bench

I gaze out over Bordeaux Bay to where the smaller islands lie

beyond the swaying fishing boats, 

so small yet strong and safely moored, 

the guardian rocks and jetty where I sometimes walk to take the air

but as I sit, a damp sea mist comes sailing in: 

a massive craft

such as the innocents, who stood knee-deep to watch invaders come,

perceived but could not understand.

It fills me with unfathomable fear. 

I watch as Herm and Jethou disappear. 


No comments:

Post a Comment