Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Friday 5 February 2021

DEAR DIARY

Throughout our lives we inhabit various different personae: the child, the teenager, followed by a series of adult selves, as we ascend to our prime then begin the inevitable decline. Shakespeare's seven ages of man seems almost too limiting when I think of the many different 'incarnations' we experience in a lifetime. Perhaps it's a failure of imagination on my part but I cannot conceive of myself as I was as a child. I remember many of the events that happened at the time and am able to picture numerous people from that period but, myself, no. There I draw a complete blank.   


















A DIARY DISCOVERED


It seems my sister found it

in a box of bits and pieces. My diary

from pre-pubescent days,

an artefact 

from former life,

a flint utensil, arrowhead, a carved stone.

Curious, I flick through pages,

crack the adolescent code with ease

and am seized

by long-forgotten scents of childhood:

liquorice, sherbet, bubblegum,

damp football boots and Dubbin.

I browse the pages,

marvel at the writer’s unformed hand,

his daily life’s banality.

I read his youthful secrets, 

of friends and dens and settled scores

but though I search in vain 

within myself 

for some frail thread

connecting then with now, 

I feel no kinship or affinity 

with that strange child, that mystery.


No comments:

Post a Comment