Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Saturday 12 December 2020

DO NOT GO GENTLE ...

As an aspiring writer in my twenties, I dressed in tweeds and corduroy, smoked a pipe, drank to excess and was enthralled by the works, or, more accurately, by the unrestrained behaviour of Dylan Thomas, which I sought to imitate. I believed that such an outward appearance of Bohemianism would ensure my status as ‘a poet’ or, more importantly, endear me to members of the opposite sex. 

All that was a long time ago and my naive enthusiasm for Dylan Thomas is all but forgotten. Other literary heroes have replaced ‘the celestial blabbermouth’ in my pantheon of ‘Great Writers’. The foul pipe and tweeds have been consigned to history and I now drink alcohol sparingly. Writing, however, has endured to this day and I like to think that, occasionally, my verse achieves the grace of poetry.
















TIDES OF TIME


When I was never sober, young and single,

at closing time, Auld Pat would keep repeating

Time’s up, please gentlemen ...

time’s up now please! 

his voice like tide retreating

over shingle,


but in my youthful, drunk elation,                                                         

half-legless, careless as a cat,

I gave no thought to time. 

Time’s up now, gents!

Grown old and sober, I concur with that

yet still cling on in desperation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment