Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Tuesday 27 October 2020

GOING UNDERGROUND

Le Déhus Dolmen is a remarkable Neolithic passage-grave, approximately ten metres in length, located less than a mile from Bordeaux Harbour. On the underside of one of its capstones is a carving of a male figure with what appears to be a strung bow, along with a series of symbolic designs. The carving is known locally as Le Gardien du Tombeau. The tomb is covered by a grassy mound and edged with a circle of standing stones.

Early in the 19th Century two skeletons were found inside the dolmen lying in such a way as to suggest that they had been buried in a kneeling position.















LE DEHUS DOLMEN


A figure, outlined, with a bow,

is the tomb’s guardian, it’s said.

The light is poor. I crouch below

and, with my torch, explore the head. 

His is a strange, impassive face,

though crudely drawn, not without grace.


Two skeletons, they unearthed here

long, long ago: two ancient men    

entombed, the cause of death unclear.

I think of them and turn again

to the low entrance and the light 

that welcomes me, subdues my fright.


How good it is, the warm, sweet sun.

Was this how Lazarus arose

from his dead sheets, life re-begun?

Through cords of veins my rich blood flows,

I breathe in, step away, retreat.

The sweet grass spreads beneath my feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment