Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Thursday 21 May 2020

NO HIDING PLACE

Do we ever lose the terrors of childhood? The older I become, the more I doubt it.
This short poem was written during a heatwave in France in the late summer of 2019 following a visit to a village church to escape the oppressive heat.




















NO SANCTUARY


Avoiding forty-two degrees,
I slip inside and feel the chill
and smell the old familiar reek
of cassocks and of deep unease.
I sit, almost against my will.
Is this the sanctuary I seek,
here where my childhood fears reside:
eternal punishment for sin,
and fire far greater than the sun?
I rise and hurry back outside,
feel noonday sun scorch my pale skin,
then stride away, tempted to run.
Behind me, from a Cross, inside,
His face stares down, the thrice-denied.


No comments:

Post a Comment