Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Wednesday 11 March 2020

BOXED IN

I'm immensely proud that my short poem, His Room, was one of those chosen to appear in the March 2020 edition of Snakeskin, the respected poetry webzine whose first edition dates back to 1995. 
My thanks to Snakeskin's Editor, George Simmers, for choosing this poem.












HIS ROOM

It took five minutes, more or less,
to fill, with what he left behind,
a cardboard box and to compress
into its space, his life, unsigned 
in much the way some paintings are,
then stash it in the waiting car.

In those five minutes, I remained
there in the small, vacated room,
while the red-faced landlord explained
a small arrears. Would I assume
responsibility and pay?
My conscience made me easy prey.

No comments:

Post a Comment