Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Wednesday 9 November 2016

CUTTING REMARKS

The inspiration for this whimsical little poem was a famous line from one of Shakespeare’s many sonnets: Sonnet 116, to be precise.  



























LOVE STORY

‘Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds’
W. SHAKESPEARE. Sonnet 116

 

I thought myself in love. I lay awake 
imagining your hair spread out like gold
and whilst asleep your hair shone as I dreamed:
such lustrous tresses, how I loved to touch.
All changed the day you had your hair restyled ...


you came home shorn and while I wept you smiled.
I yearned for love but that was my mistake: 
I never guessed love could turn quickly cold.
Love was a fantasy or so it seemed:
I loved you little, loved your hair too much.


I thought myself in love but I was wrong.
I loved you only when your hair was long.

2 comments:

  1. Nice one, Richard; the closing cuplet made me smile at a passing memory. Love the photo too. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julian.

    ReplyDelete