Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Sunday 26 June 2016

LIFE IS BUDDHA DREAM

A massive Buddha-head, ordinarily a piece of garden statuary, occupies a spot in our living room.
Although not intended for indoors, it nevertheless sits well in its corner and the Buddha’s uncritical eye takes in our everyday routines as we read, drink wine, laugh and converse.
I have no particular engagement with Buddhism but my wife, Jane, has gained much over the years from her application of Buddhist disciplines.

While I am far too restless to sit and meditate, there have been occasions when I have fallen into a dreamlike state whilst contemplating that strange stone face.
Perhaps I should drink a little less wine.










 STONE BUDDHA

The Buddha’s head stares coldly back,
face impassive, almond-eyed.
That gaze, in which whole worlds reside,
deciphers and detects a lack
of something in me, some lost light
that once burned fiercely then expired.
I bow, return his stare, though tired,    
feel strength return, fire reignite.

No comments:

Post a Comment