Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Wednesday 20 April 2016

SECRETS AND LIES

How much do we really know about our nearest and dearest?
A great deal, certainly, but it’s equally certain that there may be secret compartments of the heart that are kept locked, their contents sealed until, perhaps by chance, much is revealed.
This short poem had some success  in a UK competition
last year.
















REVENGE    
   
Perhaps there is an explanation, dear,
but you’re not here to set my mind at rest.
Death puts a stop to questions, so I fear
this one must stay unanswered or addressed.
Among your things I found a photograph:
it must be recent, you look hardly changed.
A stranger smiles beside you as you laugh,
your hair and solemn features disarranged.
In looking closer I can ascertain
you two are linked: there is a recklessness
about your pose, while he is cool, urbane.
It pains me so, this photograph, and yes,
our marriage wasn’t perfect: I would stray,
but, posthumously, you’ve made sure I pay.




No comments:

Post a Comment