Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Wednesday 17 June 2015

BATS AND HATS

My wife and I live on a lane close to the beautiful bay at Bordeaux and share our environment with an abundance of bird life.
Apart from the inevitable gulls, daily we see blackbirds, thrushes, tits, robins, wrens, and a regiment of sparrows.
In spring, swallows perform thrilling acrobatics in the narrow confines of the lane. 
After dark, however, this changes and swallows give way to those other amazing aerialists, bats.
Bats terrify my wife but I find them charming creatures and admire their remarkable flying skills.
Charming or otherwise, when dog-walking at night on our lane, it's advisable to wear a bat-hat.
Here's a short, fun poem about bats.   


 BATS

Two bats were hanging upside down:
said one bat, with an anxious frown,
“What worries me as I grow old
is not arthritis or the cold,
or even younger bats I see,
behaving antisocially.
What worries me, what makes me tense,
is suffering incontinence
for then I fear that I may drown
by peeing hanging upside down.”

1 comment:

  1. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete