Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Tuesday 22 August 2023

CANCEL CULTURE

When you choose to live on a small island in the English Channel, travel becomes something of a challenge, not least of all when almost every journey by air involves transition through London's Gatwick Airport.

2023 has been a particularly difficult year with delays and cancellations the norm rather than the exception. One such lengthy delay prompted this piece of rhyming verse.






                           

            






GATWICK BLUES


Imprisoned in an airport between flights,

I read, but even reading starts to bore.

Distraction comes in countless forms: the lights,

the noisy people that I can’t ignore

who jabber trivialities on mobile phones,

the tantrum-throwing children and the teens, 

the shrieking girls, the hijab-wearing crones,

the idiots in pricy torn-up jeans …

I could rant on but realise it’s true:

the human race and I don’t really gel.

Apart from some good friends (and they’re damn few)

where I’m concerned the rest can go to hell. 

If I believed, I’d pray they’d disappear.

The modern world is not for me, I fear.


For verse of a different kind, why not visit: https://www.facebook.com/richard.fleming.92102564/  

No comments:

Post a Comment