Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Saturday 11 March 2023

IN THE BEGINNING

First day at school, first day at work, both were unnerving experiences, both were so very long ago.












FIRST DAY


That first day, in a new-bought suit, afraid

to speak up for myself, I sat, with pen

and pencil that I’d sharpened with a blade,

in a large office with a group of men.

Next door there was a busy typing pool

of women. This was different from school.


At work that day, a green, self-conscious lad,

I joined a world of grown-ups. It felt strange

to mix with men the same age as my dad,

and be, myself, a grown-up for a change.

At sixteen, I thought I’d be there for life,

rise through the ranks, earn money, get a wife.


In fact, things turned out otherwise, of course:

I grew up fast, changed jobs, acquired a spouse,

a car, a mortgage, offspring, then divorce

and, through the years, I moved from house to house

and job to job, from pen to keyboard, till

at sixty-three I’d really had my fill.


Back in that lofty office, long ago:

who was I, the glum youngster, just sixteen, 

that listened as the jokes flew to and fro

and felt somehow excluded from the scene?

I recognise that lad out on a limb

and feel a certain tenderness for him.



For verse of a different kind, why not visit: https://www.facebook.com/richard.fleming.92102564/


No comments:

Post a Comment