Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Sunday 5 February 2023

LOVE AND DEATH

Like many who write verse, I tend to be overly preoccupied with subjects such as love and death and these come together in this Gothic sonnet.












THE RETURN


Last night I visited our home once more

but in my dream the house was greatly changed:

leaves lay, unswept, upon the bedroom floor,

the chairs, once orderly, were rearranged

as though a host of ghosts had gathered there

in heavy darkness to discuss the way

the space should be apportioned, how the air  

should be imprinted with their foul decay.

I found myself transported in my sleep,

one moment to the stairway, then the bed

where, in those final hours, I’d watched you weep

to the old priest who sat with lowered head.

That was the day when I chose to depart.

Last night, in dreams, I came back for my heart.


For verse of a different kind, why not visit: https://www.facebook.com/richard.fleming.92102564/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment