Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Saturday 7 January 2023

BLISS

As 2022 turns to 2023 and I drift even closer to my dotage, it consoles me to think that when the mind finally goes it may bring an end to the many self-inflicted torments that we burden ourselves with as we contemplate a life ill-spent.















BLISS


The past will haunt you till you die

they tell you, but that is a lie.

When fuses blow, minds come unhinged:

all history is swept away

as memories, their edges singed

like ash, fly off in disarray.

Regrets, self-condemnation, guilt,

all seep away like water spilt.

Sons, daughters, sit and hold your hand,

bring photographs to jog your mind.

They simply do not understand

the bliss of leaving life behind.


1 comment:

  1. I really love this poem. I’ve found it comforting when thinking of my lovely mum’s last months.

    ReplyDelete