Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Monday 25 October 2021

EDGAR ALLAN POET

October is Hallowe’en month and, by coincidence, the month that the master of Gothic horror, Edgar Allan Poe, died. 

Poe (January 19, 1809 – October 7, 1849) was an American writer and is best known for his poetry and short stories, particularly his tales of mystery and the macabre.

Here’s a small tribute to him in the form of two dark little poems.














GARDENER’S QUESTION TIME


Your garden is magnificent:

the fruit trees pruned, all hedges trimmed.

Hours, countless hours, you must have spent

in keeping every lawn-edge strimmed.

Where do you get the energy?

It is a mystery to me. 

 

Oh, I don’t manage on my own:

I keep some zombies in the shed.

They work all day and never moan

for, after all, they are undead.

I feed them cats to keep them mild 

and now and then a neighbour’s child.  


That rose bush, too, is wonderful.

Do you use chemicals or what?

The answer is immensely dull:

nutrition from organic rot.

Think of the rose bush as a wreath.

The postman’s buried underneath.



NIGHT-FRIGHT   


Something’s moving in the dark.

I’m sure I saw a shadow there.

Why does the dog refuse to bark

and cower there behind the chair?

There’s someone outside near the tree:

a trespasser, it seems to me.


His outline is misshapen, grim,

inhuman almost, to my mind.

Won’t you go out and challenge him?

No, stay, I won’t be left behind.

Lord help us now, I hear you groan:

no signal on the telephone.


The door is strong, the windows too

and yet I cannot help but scream

when his warped face comes into view:

a creature from an ugly dream

He glares in at us through the glass

We find ourselves at an impasse.


The door is smashed. He’s broken in.

He’s fury-faced and murder-eyed

We cannot flee to save our skin

for we are frail and terrified.

He snarls. I see his fangs and snout.

I feel his breath. The lights go out.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment