Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Sunday 31 January 2016

DESERT ISLAND DISCUSSION

Regular readers will be aware of my fondness for cinema, so it will come as no surprise that, were I to be cast away on BBC Radio Four’s famous Desert Island, I’d choose, in addition to my eight discs, a film as my luxury item.



If pressed, however, I’d find it difficult to select one film from the thousands I’ve seen in my lifetime.
For me, the perfect choice would be one that was a compilation of the greatest moments from a host of much-loved movies.
Sadly, no film producer has beaten a path to my door to enquire whether I might direct such a joyous project, so to date my perfect movie remains unmade.
Compilation movies do exist though, and a favourite is Aria, a production that appeals to both my love of cinema and of great music.
Aria is a 1987 British motion-picture made up of ten short films from a variety of directors, each featuring visual accompaniment to arias from different operas. 
One of the most touching segments, which you can view by clicking here, was directed by the late Derek Jarman, who was born this day (31 January) in 1942. 

It features the glorious music of Gustave Chapentier (Depuis Le Jour from his opera, Louise) and also the splendid British actress Tilda Swinton. 

Derek Jarman and Tilda Swinton

No comments:

Post a Comment