Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Sunday 6 September 2015

I DREAMED A DREAM

I hope you enjoyed this blog's first and possibly last serial. 
It was enormous fun to write: a departure from my usual style. 
It brought to mind the grand old days of B-movies at the Astoria Picture House in Belfast, back in the Nineteen Fifties.  
Here's one final word from Betty-Mae.


THE DREAM

I dreamed last night that he’d returned
and walked in like he’d never left:
that bashful smile, the same crushed suit,
his scar, his chin with the cute cleft
I loved to touch. His kisses burned.
I called him lover, lovely brute.

Then, like I’d turned up the wrong card:
the trey maybe, or Ace of Spades,
he’s walking backwards into smoke
and steadily his image fades.
I’m left, bereft of him. It’s hard.
Damn card’s a Joker. Some damn joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment